Along with iOS 4.2.1 update and the redsn0w 0.9.6b4 jailbreak procedure, there arised a confusion as to it’s definition on “Tethered Jailbreak” and “Untethered Jailbreak”. Many people certainly don’t know about it, thus we have come along with the concept on what a Tethered and Untethered Jailbreak is all about.
NOTE – The iPhone tethered or untethered jailbreak is not all about internet tethering, rather it is just a process of using your iPhone as a cellular modem.
Definition Of Tethered Jailbreak
The concept of tethered jailbreak is – your iPhone requires to be connected with your computer everytime, whenever you need to reboot your iPhone or simply your iPhone loses the battery charge. Well it is not for re-jailbreak or restore your iPhone but only for the back up of your iPhone as an aid of jailbreak application.
How to boot your iPhone on Tethered Jailbreak
- Connect your iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch) to your computer
- Relaunch the same jailbreaking application what you have used to jailbreak the device
- Select the “Just boot tethered right now” option (ie- in redsn0w) (shown in the screenshot above)
- Now the your iOS device will boot with the aid of redsn0w
- After successful booting disconnect it from your computer
- And use it as usual
Definition Of Untethered Jailbreak
Well, the untethered jailbreak is most preferable, because it requires no connection to your computer except for the initial jailbreaking process. You can reboot your iOS device as much as you want without having to tether it to your computer to boot.
This is how most of the new jailbreaking tool works for iOS 4.1 and prior, like greenpois0n, PwnageTool, limera1n, and sn0wbreeze.
How to boot your iPhone on Untethered Jailbreak
- Well, there is nothing to do for it. Just simply boot your iPhone as usual
Tethered vs Untethered Jailbreaks
Due to hassle of tethering (connecting) your iOS device always need to be connected to a computer on each boot, thus an untethered jailbreak is however always get preferential.
So it has been suggested – If you have patience, then always wait for untethered jailbreak to become available for your device.
Well, if you like this post, please leave a comment.