Who hasn’t lost the remote for your apple TV? It is so small and not a lot of options to it, who needs to keep tabs on another remote control for your TV? There is a simple solution to this problem. You can simply use the remote you use to control your TV for your Apple TV. Here is how you go about it, these are instructions from Apple. If you have a first gen Apple TV you will need to update the software to version 2.3 or later.
1. Using the Apple Remote included with Apple TV, choose Settings > General > Remotes.
2. Choose Learn Remote.
3. Set your remote to a device setting that doesn’t control any other devices in the area or identify other buttons that do not already control a function on your TV or other device. Many third-party remotes have an option to control different devices such as a VCR or DVD player, or have an auxiliary (AUX) option for an unspecified device.
5. Apple TV will display icons that represent the six buttons on the Apple Remote with the “Up” or “+” button highlighted first.
6. Using your third-party remote, press and hold the button you would like to use to control the “up” function until the blue progress bar is full, as shown below.
7. Apple TV will then select the next button function. Repeat step 6 and 7 using a different button
8. After you have programmed all six button functions, you can now use your third-party remote to control Apple TV.
Not to bad. You can program as many remotes as you want by repeating these steps with additional remotes.